Avery M. Chenin
For more than 25 years, Avery has counseled businesses and their owners on how to incorporate employee ownership into their business succession plans. He represents closely held businesses and their selling shareholders, ESOP sponsors and ESOP fiduciaries in transactions involving employer securities.
Avery works with companies and their owners in the planning, development, implementation and ongoing maintenance of ESOPs. He also helps clients with IRS and Department of Labor examinations and audits, and in the resolution of plan defects, including the submission of plan corrections under both the IRS and Department of Labor correction programs.
In addition, Avery assists companies with executive compensation, welfare plan and employee benefit plan issues that are a part of these and other transactions.
- Case Western Reserve University, J.D., 1989
- Case Western Reserve University, B.S., Accounting, 1985
- The ESOP Association – Legislative and Regulatory Committee Member
- Ohio Employee Ownership Center
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Ruffing Montessori School, Board of Trustees Member and Vice-President
Selected Speaking Engagements
- “OH/KY COVID-19 Plan Impacts and Issues,” Virtual Networking Event hosted by the Ohio/Kentucky Chapter of The ESOP Association, Feb. 25, 2021
- “Dealing with ESOP Distributions When Cash Is Tight,” The ESOP Association COVID-19 Action Center Webinar Series, April 13, 2020
- “Second-Stage ESOP Transactions: Fiduciary Considerations,” co-presenter, The ESOP Association’s Employee Owned 2019 Conference, Las Vegas, NV, Nov. 14, 2019
- “You Receive an Offer to Buy Your ESOP Company: Now What?” co-presenter, 5th Annual Great Lakes Regional ESOP Conference, Sandusky, OH, October 17, 2019
- “Interaction of the Trustee and the Valuation Firm,” co-presenter, 3rd Annual Thoroughbred ESOP Conference hosted by the Ohio/Kentucky Chapter of The ESOP Association, Lexington, KY, August 8, 2019
- “Interaction Between the Trustee and the Valuation Firm,” 2019 NCEO Employee Ownership Conference, Pittsburgh, PA, April 10, 2019
- “Communicating Distribution Rules and Diversification to Employees,” 2019 Ohio/Kentucky Chapter Annual Spring ESOP Conference, Powell, OH, March 21, 2019
- “Case Studies – How to Fix Problems in Your ESOP,” Moderator, 2018 Great Lakes Regional ESOP Conference, Sandusky, OH, October 19, 2018
- “The Morning After – What Happens the Day After You Become an ESOP,” Moderator, 2018 Great Lakes Regional ESOP Conference, Sandusky, OH, October 19, 2018
- “Effective ESOP Boards of Directors, Parts 1 and 2,” 2018 Ohio Employee Ownership Conference, Fairlawn, OH, April 27, 2018
- “A Day in the Life of an ESOP Trustee,” 2017 Great Lakes Regional ESOP Conference, Sandusky, OH, October 20, 2017