Paul S. Fusco
Paul advises corporations, shareholders, directors and employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) trustees on a wide variety of ESOP-related issues, both transactional and non-transactional. His transactional experience includes representing corporations, shareholders, trustees and lenders in ESOP transactions, including stock purchases, leveraged buyouts, mergers, acquisitions and corporate reorganizations.
Paul’s non-transactional ESOP experience includes advising ESOP companies with regard to corporate governance, succession planning, ESOP plan design and compliance, and ERISA fiduciary issues. In addition, he has represented clients in IRS and U.S. Department of Labor plan audits, as well as in the various corrections and voluntary compliance programs offered through these agencies.
Paul has also assisted clients with the design and implementation of non-qualified deferred compensation plans, including stock option plans, stock appreciation right plans, phantom stock plans, performance-based plans and restricted stock plans.
While in law school, Paul was an articles editor of the Buffalo Law Review.
- State University of New York at Buffalo Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2006
- State University of New York at Albany, B.A., Economics, summa cum laude, 2003
- New York
- United States Tax Court
- The ESOP Association New York/New Jersey Chapter, Executive Committee
- The ESOP Association
- National Center for Employee Ownership
- New York State Bar Association
- Monroe County Bar Association
Selected Speaking Engagements
- “Is an ESOP Right for You? ESOP Feasibility Studies,” co-presenter, The ESOP Association’s Employee Owned 2019 Conference, Las Vegas, NV, Nov. 14, 2019
- “ESOP Administrative, Disclosure and Reporting Toolkit/ESOP Calendar,” 2019 Multi-State ESOP Conference, Pocono Manor, PA, Sept. 20, 2019
- “Handling the Repurchase Obligation: Legal Issues,” NCEO webinar series, July 2015
- “Business Strategies for Growth – Board Role and Valuation Perspective,” The ESOP Association Super Regional Board of Directors and Trustees Conference, June 2015
- “ESOP Transaction Structures,” NCEO Conference: Is an ESOP Right for You? in Miami, FL, October 2014
- “ESOP Transaction Structures and Recent Guidance for ESOP Valuations,” Western New York Chapter of the American Society of Appraisers, October 2014
- “Handling the Repurchase Obligation: Legal Issues,” The ESOP Association’s Annual Multi-State Conference, September 2014
- “ESOP Transaction Structures,” NCEO Conference: Is an ESOP Right for You? in Scottsdale, AZ, February 2014
- “Figuring Out Forecasting,” panelist, NCEO Employee Ownership Conference, Seattle, WA, April 2013
- “Legal and Regulatory Update,” panelist, The ESOP Association CEO/CFO/HR ESOP Executive Conference, Rochester, NY, April 2013
- “ESOPs 101,” Builders Exchange of Rochester seminar in Rochester, NY, January 2013
- “Top 5 Issues for New ESOP Companies,” panelist, The ESOP Association’s 17th Annual Multi-State Conference, Scranton, PA, September 2012
- Incentive Compensation presentation, High Tech Rochester program, Rochester, NY, August 2012
- “Figuring Out Forecasting,” panelist, NCEO Employee Ownership Conference, Minneapolis, MN, April 2012
- “Current Fiduciary and Valuation Issues in DOL Audits,” panelist, New York/New Jersey Chapter of the ESOP Association Upstate New York ESOP conference, Syracuse, NY, April 2011