Steven B. Greenapple
Steve has extensive experience in transactions involving employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs). He has represented ESOP plan sponsors, shareholders selling to an ESOP, and ESOP trustees in transactions establishing and amending ESOPs, increasing ESOPs’ share ownership, using ESOPs to acquire other businesses, and terminating and buying out ESOPs. He is also experienced in designing and implementing other forms of equity compensation plans such as stock appreciation rights, phantom stock plans and stock option plans. Steve is frequently brought into transactions as special ESOP counsel by clients’ corporate counsel. He has also served as an expert in litigation related to ESOPs in state and federal court.
Prior to focusing his practice on ESOPs, Steve practiced business and transactional law for more than 20 years. He works with clients in a variety of industries and has been involved in every phase of clients’ businesses. Steve advises on organization structuring relationships among founders, investors and joint ventures, and on negotiating, drafting and administration of agreements. He also provides access to other resources, such as trustees, valuation advisors, lenders, accountants, investment bankers, financial advisors and attorneys to help his clients achieve their objectives.
He has received an AV® Preeminent™ rating from LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell, which is the highest rating for legal ability and general ethics.
- Cornell Law School, J.D., 1984
- Cornell University, B.S., 1981
- New Jersey
- New York
- National Center for Employee Ownership
- The ESOP Association, Member; Former New Jersey State Chapter Vice President; Former Chair of the National Legislative and Regulatory Committee
- The Employee Ownership Foundation, Trustee
Selected Speaking Engagements
- “The Nuts and Bolts of Selling Your Company to an ESOP,” The ESOP Association New South Chapter 2019 Fall Conference, Championsgate, FL, Oct. 17, 2019
- “Building a Diversified ESOP-Owned Holding Company,” 2019 NCEO Employee Ownership Conference, Pittsburgh, PA, April 11, 2019