Susan represents companies in employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) transactions and provides advice to cooperative businesses. She also counsels companies considering alternative paths to employee ownership and mission protection. Recent transactions include:
- ESOP implementation for a manufacturer, a specialty construction contractor, a service provider and an engineering design firm;
- Acquisition by an ESOP-owned company of an online retailer; and
- Design and operation of a perpetual purpose trust holding an ownership interest in a health care company.
Susan brings a broad range of experience, technical skill and a problem-solving approach to her work with companies in transition. She began her legal career representing middle-market lenders, investors in commercial real estate, and non-profit organizations. She has also argued First Amendment claims in federal court.
While at Duke University School of Law, Susan was an Articles Editor of the Duke Law Journal and a member of the Moot Court Board. Her law review note, published in the Duke Law Journal, was cited in Metropolitan Edison Co. v. NLRB, 460 U.S. 693, 702 n.8 (1983). Following law school, Susan clerked for the Honorable Collins J. Seitz, Chief Judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
- Duke University School of Law, J.D., with honors
- Tufts University, M.A. in Philosophy
- Vassar College, A.B. in Philosophy
- The ESOP Association, New England Chapter
- National Center for Employee Ownership (NCEO)
Selected Speaking Engagements
- “Bringing Employee Ownership to Your Company: Considerations for the COVID-19 Era,” co-presenter, webinar, Vermont Employee Ownership Center, June 11, 2020
- “ESOP Hot Topics,” co-presenter, The ESOP Association’s New England Chapter Annual Fall ESOP Conference, Springfield, MA, October 10, 2019
- “Who Runs This Thing? ESOP Fiduciary Issues,” NCEO’s ESOP Nuts and Bolts: What You Need to Know About Employee Stock Ownership Plans event, Meriden, CT, June 27, 2019
- “Alternate Paths to Employee Ownership: LLCs, Perpetual Trusts, Worker Cooperatives and Direct Ownership,” 2019 NCEO Employee Ownership Conference, Pittsburgh, PA, April 9, 2019
- “Structural Innovations for Mission-Driven Companies” Panel presentation at SOCAP18, At the Intersection of Money + Meaning, 2018
- “ESOP 101: What would you like to know about ESOPs?” Panel presentation at the ESOP Association New England Chapter Fall Conference, 2018